Today’s post will be about how to make your own onigiri (Japanese for rice ball) in a few easy steps! It’s very simple and fun and we made these in school for lunch.
- Cook 2 cups of Japanese sushi rice and leave it in the fridge overnight so that it’s cold and sticks better together.
- Sprinkle your favourite type of Japanese seaweed seasoning (you can buy it at most mega supermarkets). We recommend buying the seasoning that comes in resealable packaging as it’ll be easier to keep.
- Mix the seasoning well
- Scoop the rice into onigiri moulds which we got at DAISO for $2 each
- Prepare the ingredients on a plate. We used canned tuna. (Edit: You can add other ingredients like egg mayo, bonito flakes, grilled salmon, or eat it plain! Almost anything goes well with onigiri.)
- Wet the inside of the onigiri mould so that the rice sticks to it. Fill half the mould with rice, add the ingredients and then top it with more rice.
Finally, push the flap to release the onigiri from the mould and wrap it with a strip of seaweed. We bought packs of seaweed snacks that came in strips from the supermarket and they fit perfectly around the rice balls!
It was a wonderful way to destress from all the projects and IAs due in school that week. The best part was that we had fun together and the onigiri turned out to be very filling.
– Nomster Ally